www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Bits of metal journalism you remember.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Bits of metal journalism you remember. 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Bits of metal journalism you remember.
I'm not sure why I bought that particular issue of Kerrang! as I had long-since gotten fed-up with the mag because it featured fuck all bands I was into at the time. I'm not sure if even Metal Forces was still around by then. There were a few short-lived UK mags like Thrash N Burn which was pretty cool. I don't think Tez had started when Covenant came out...

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:10 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
I'm not sure why I bought that particular issue of Kerrang! as I had long-since gotten fed-up with the mag because it featured fuck all bands I was into at the time. I'm not sure if even Metal Forces was still around by then. There were a few short-lived UK mags like Thrash N Burn which was pretty cool. I don't think Tez had started when Covenant came out...

Thrash n Burn => Xtreme Noize => Terrorizer.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:14 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Xtreme Noize. Couldn't remember the name of that one. That was pretty good too, from what I remember.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:18 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

S.O.D. was the only one I bought besides Tezzer. The 'journalism' was shit but the artwork & label-specific cover-mounts excellent. And one called PIT which didnt last, also great covermount CDs. And the Gothic magazine Kaleidoscope always had a good mix of goth & metal. And there was a free paper called Underground.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:22 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

When did SOD stop? I bought a few editions back in the mid 90's, but I haven't got any now. I think the last one I bought was in 1997. There was still no black metal in that mag then either, which is strange because 97 was the year that black metal started getting more exposure in the U.S.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:39 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I stopped buying S.O.D. when they no longer appeared in London shops (they lasted until 2003). There were some BM articles (but mostly Death) and Black Metal label CDs eg. Unisound, Hammerheart. I have quite a collection somewhere. Same with PIT, also dissapeared. Kaleidoscope I stopped buying when Ressurection closed.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:44 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

2002/2003 was the year that many zines just disappeared; and most of the ones from the 90's that lasted that long only survived because of their loyal following.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:01 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Anyone ever get any copies of Griff's doomzine 'Under The Oak'?

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:08 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

How did MH and Kerrang rate death and black albums in the mid to late 90s?

I can't remember reading any reviews. Would be interesting to see as this would have been round the time they would have been bumming every nu metal band under the sun.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:14 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I remember some death metal bands getting decent reviews in MH in the 90's. Black metal was mostly ignored unless it was bands with clean production like COF etc, or if they wanted to exploit the Nordic scene.

I wish I kept more M.H magazines back then. It's really amazing how many bands they mocked in the mid to late 90's then praised later on. Most goth metal got slagged in Metal Hammer as well. Power metal too. I don't remember melodic death getting a fair shake until around the time Killswitch Engage took off either.

That was the reason Terrorizer stood out so much back then. There was no other magazine covering the great indie and underground bands as extensively and with as much insight.

Once Metal Hammer stated to improve though, and once America got their very own equivalent of Terrorizer (Decibel), Terrorizer lost their edge, but between 1995-2003 they were virtually untouchable.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 pm
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

I recall Emperor's Anthems getting a very bad review in MH - talking about how the opening track sounded like a Christmas Carol, etc.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:

I wish I kept more M.H magazines back then. It's really amazing how many bands they mocked in the mid to late 90's then praised later on. Most goth metal got slagged in Metal Hammer as well. Power metal too. I don't remember melodic death getting a fair shake until around the time Killswitch Engage took off either.

that's what I was wanting to check, I can't believe back in that metal climate they were giving good reviews to the likes of Emperor, Death etc

All I can remember from that time was 10/10 for the Burning Red and madness along those lines.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:59 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

My friend remembers Limp Bizkit's Significant Other being given 10/10 in MH and apparently the review tagline was "A band so awesome with nothing left to prove".

Apparently loads of classic metal bands would just be relentlessly slagged around that time by MH too, with some exceptions like Metallica.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:27 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I remember Metal Hammer debating whether to continue using the word metal in their title, then in about 2002/2003, they did a u-turn and it was all about DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH!!! with reviews of Slipknot, Trivium, AX7 and Chimaira or whatever they were called (the shit Fear Factory knock-offs who weren't Spineshank).

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:59 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Chimaira were much better than Spineshank. Their second and third albums were actually decent enough.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:11 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Chimaira were much better than Spineshank. Their second and third albums were actually decent enough.

Couldn't get past the first one, and they're a concert I walked out of halfway through (although that was equal parts receiving bad news about my Gran at the time).

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:15 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
I remember some death metal bands getting decent reviews in MH in the 90's. Black metal was mostly ignored unless it was bands with clean production like COF etc, or if they wanted to exploit the Nordic scene.

That was the reason Terrorizer stood out so much back then. There was no other magazine covering the great indie and underground bands as extensively and with as much insight.

Once Metal Hammer stated to improve though, and once America got their very own equivalent of Terrorizer (Decibel), Terrorizer lost their edge, but between 1995-2003 they were virtually untouchable.

Don't know if you guys got Metal Maniacsin the UK, but it was an American mag covering what Terrorizer did from about 1990. Must pull out a few of the old mags and have a look some time.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:06 pm

Metal Maniacs was way more lo fi than Tez but still a great mag. The rest of the U.S. based metal mags like Circus, Hit Parader et al were god awful.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:14 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

M.M were good but they weren't Terrorizer. I remember a few of the writers trying to ape the T style too like Spider and Chris Maycock, who ended up writing for Terrorizer for a while.

American metal journalists at the time were disadvantaged by geography and poor distribution of Euro metal that wasn't released by Century Media, Peaceville or Nuclear Blast.

I suspect they also had business interests to contend with. i.e American labels in the mid 90s were pushing groove metal, death metal and industrial metal, so those bands naturally received more coverage because they were paying the bills through advertising revenue.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:21 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Right, first issue of Metal Hammer I ever bought: Jan 29-Feb 11 1990 Price: 1.75 (pounds and pence, cos I only have dollar signs on my keyboard)

On the cover: Pic of Spike from Quireboys
Skid Row - Snake on Sebastian
Tigertailz
Yngwie
Festival Frenzy- Manowar, Sabbat, Fates Warning, Saxon, Lizzy (Borden, not Thin)
Little Angels
Savatage
Bon Jovi
Kiss
Mr. Big
Anthrax
Princess Pang
Nasty Savage
George Lynch
The Metal Decade '80-'89 Part 4: '88-'89
Posters: Thrash (Kreator, Sodom, Tankard) and Joe Satriani (I used the thrash side!)
Kai Hansen Contest- Win a trip to Egypt

News:
New Dio Album- Vinnie Appice Leaves Band (this was at the time Rowan Robertson joined the band. Appice was replaced by Simon Wright from AC/DC)
Skid Row Bottle Bust (Sebastian Bach had hit a girl in the face with a bottle at a gig)
Panama (some crappy band from London)
Laaz Rockit Up (finally releasing Annihilation Principle)
Marshall Law Reinforcements (Got a new drummer)
Bang Tango To Tour
Iron Maiden- Ten Years At The Top (Re-releasing all their singles)
Dead, Jail or Cardiff University (Michael Monroe touring)

Reviews
Best Of All: The Quireboys - A Bit Of What You Fancy 5/5
Special Tip: Jagged Edge - Trouble 5/5
Salty Dog - Salty Dog 4/5
Slaughter - Stick It To Ya 3.5/5
Savatage - Gutter Ballet 3/5
Heaven's Gate - In Control 2/5
The Black Riders - Chosen Few 2/5
Blind Guardian - Follow The Blind 3/5
The Sweet - Live At The Marquee 1/5
Hunter/Ronson - Yul Orta 4/5
DYS - Wolfpack 5/5
The Angels - Beyond Salvation 5/5
Bad Religion - No Control 5/5 (finally one they got right!)
Liar - Nothing But The Truth 1/5
Addictive - Pity Of Man 2/5
Hiroshima - Hiroshima 1/5
Muro - Mutant Hunter 1/5
Benny Mardones - Benny Mardones 3.5/5

So there ya go. That's how shit metal used to be back in the day.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next